I (Joyce) recently returned from taking Justine (13), Alexis (16) & our friend, David (16) to Senegal.

Senegal is a third world country - so this was less of a vacation & more of a "field trip of a lifetime" that afforded us an up close and personal understanding of what real life is like in Senegal ... a culture & climate as far away as it is far different from what we're used to in America.

We stayed w/ my brother (Uncle Jimmy), who teaches elementary students in Dakar, & his wife, Aunt Ramona. We visited The Door of No Return (former slave house) on Goree Island, capital city of Dakar, the school where my brother teaches, outdoor marketplaces, the beach, a wild game park... and Justine finally met her pen-pal!

In the days leading up to our departure I posted here what I knew & was learning about where we were headed. Once we arrived in Senegal, I had the kids post some things as well. Justine was our main photographer.

We're back now & still trying to record our experience as it was hard to keep up while we were there.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Beach House


This is the beach house we stayed in.


The beach house that we went to for the weekend was pretty. It was simple but still nice. The water was really nice.It was a little warmer than the water in New England. We found a lot of pretty shells.


Each night that we were there the power went out for like an hour and a half. The first night the power went out we had a candle night dinner, so that was fun. The other night power went out and we watched a movie on the laptop('UP').

Some of the rocks on the beach have carvings on them. One was a sun with a face on it and the other one was an elephant.

The one of the best parts of the beach was the sunset, it was BEAUTIFUL. That's one thing you don't get in New England ..... beach sunsets.

Justine


Joyce's note: We should have pics ready to post soon :) Another sweet thing we saw at the beach was a group of little boys playing on the rocks out in the water...I took their pic. When they came closer one little boy handed me a handful of shells - I had a few shells in my hand already so I gave him mine in return. He smiled and gave me a thumbs up & we parted ways but it wasn't long before I realized that the ones he gave me were alive! Yikes ... I had a handful of hermit crabs :)


Photographer: Justine

3 comments:

  1. Nice pictures, can't wait to see more and hear about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK... now that's a great sunset pic. National Geographic watch out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. those pictures look awesome Justine!!!!1 i miss you guys and i hope you have an amazing adventure out there and cant wait to see what you all learned!

    youre loving neighbor and friend,
    Jackie Kalinowski

    ReplyDelete