I (Joyce) recently returned from taking Justine (13), Alexis (16) & our friend, David (16) to Senegal.

Senegal is a third world country - so this was less of a vacation & more of a "field trip of a lifetime" that afforded us an up close and personal understanding of what real life is like in Senegal ... a culture & climate as far away as it is far different from what we're used to in America.

We stayed w/ my brother (Uncle Jimmy), who teaches elementary students in Dakar, & his wife, Aunt Ramona. We visited The Door of No Return (former slave house) on Goree Island, capital city of Dakar, the school where my brother teaches, outdoor marketplaces, the beach, a wild game park... and Justine finally met her pen-pal!

In the days leading up to our departure I posted here what I knew & was learning about where we were headed. Once we arrived in Senegal, I had the kids post some things as well. Justine was our main photographer.

We're back now & still trying to record our experience as it was hard to keep up while we were there.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

David's Safari Experience
















Hey! This is David from Senegal! We've been doing a lot on our trip so far and the adventure has just begun. One of the things we did on our second day here was go to a safari, the place was called "Reserve de Bandia". It was incredible, and also a great opportunity to take some pictures. We got to the gamepark, got our tickets, a truck pulled up, we piled into the seats in the back and we got taken off into the park. We ended up sharing the truck with a french couple but we didn't talk to them much mostly because none of us spoke very good french. Our tour guide obviously spoke french too but he spoke a little english as well; with the little english he spoke he was a funny guy. We got into the park and started on the trails, the first animal we found was the hyena. There was only one and it was the only animal locked in by a cage because otherwise it would eat some of the other animals since it is a carnivore. Surprisingly, it was bigger than it seemed to be when watching movies like "The Lion King." Then on our way to the next stop of the trip we spotted a monitor lizard in the crevice of a tree nearby. Jim told us that they get to be as big as 4 feet long! After that we went along and saw a whole group of monkeys going across the path in front of us; everybody went "Awwww." as we saw a couple of them had little baby monkeys clinging to their bellies. Then down the road a little bit we saw a wild boar off to the side who starred at us as everyone took photos of him. Next on our safari we saw a lot of antelope. After seeing antelope for a while we ran into a couple of zebras, but they were they only ones we saw the whole time. The water buffalo came next, followed by the rhino who we found resting in a sand patch. Then as we drove down the road we chased some guinea hens in front of us. Finally we came to the part that the girls had been waiting for... the giraffes! When we saw the first giraffe the driver drove off the path and circled around right in front of it about 20 ft away, so we got some great close up photos. Next we went to a baobab tree that they found had the bones of a dead shaman in it, and the skull was layed out at the opening in the tree. Later on we saw a bunch more giraffe and were acutally allowed to get out of the truck to look at them from a safe distance. This was unlike any zoo anyone had been too. On our way out we saw a couple more animals including an ostrich, a hornbeak bird, and a beautiful bright blue bird. The last stop of our trip was seeing the giant tortoises and crocodiles. But it was hot and we were tired from taking lots of pictures, so we went to a tourist hotel for dinner. Well thats all folks, seeya later on David's Awesome Blog!=)


Joyce's note: Justine is our main photographer :) She took the pics above. More to come later when they don't take forever to download.

10 comments:

  1. Better than a zoo and Wow, great pictures too. Glad to hear that you all are having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee Dave, I was expecting to see a pic of you wrestling a rhino :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce,
    FYI: Gloria Smith passed away Sunday afternoon. Thought you'd want to know.
    - Dan Smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Dan, Yes - I rec'd an email. But thank you for thinking to make sure I knew. I'm SO sorry - in a selfish sorta way. So sorry I won't be at her service - & I will miss her! She was a dear friend & an incredible woman. I was so blessed by her friendship. On my most recent visit mb 3 wks ago I FINALLY listened to the cd of our church's childrens Christmas program w/ her. She seemed to enjoy it & even sang along at times. You/her boys were SO good to her. She was so proud of you all. I'm comforted knowing that in the absence of her body, she is present w/ her LORD :)

    One time she shared w/ me: " If you worry, you don't trust God. If you trust God, you don't worry. :)" I've carried that nugget of wisdom w/ me ever since.

    Looking forward to seeing her again someday. Hugs & prayers, Joyce

    - Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dad,

    Well ya see i was going to wrestle the rhino but he was too scared of me cuz when i got out of the truck it ran away from my awesome muscles! ?)

    -David

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce, Thanks you for adopting my mother. She always wanted a daughter, and thoroughly enjoyed the time you spent with her. Did you know that Gloria's mother's name was Joyce? - Dan Smith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce, thank you for adopting my mother. She always wanted a daughter, and thoroughly enjoyed the time she spent with you. Did you know that her mother's name was also Joyce? - Dan Smith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dan. I don't remember her telling me that her mom's name was Joyce. Ironic. Her b-day was like 2 days after my mom's & in some ways she reminded me of my mom who passed away shortly before I met Gloria. One time when Alexis & I visited her at the nursing home she reminded Alexis so much of her grandma that Alexis started to cry so we didn't stay long that time.

    She loved to talk about the road trip you all took across the country way back when :)

    I admired her....such a postive attitude despite her increasing limitations. One time she told me how close her LORD was...She sensed his presence right there...so close. I tho't that was just so neat...she & God had a special relatiionship - perhaps bc in some ways she needed Him more than others who know Him do. What a dear sweet woman she was.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Marnie! So good to see you here :) HUGS! Yah ...I think you can probably relate better than most base on your experience. The kids are doing great. After the intial shock wore off they began to "get used to it".

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow their is a lot to read here david haha well there are a lot of picture my favorite one is of the zebra they are my favorite animals ;) i think that is so cool how you saw all of these animals and david i love how you added the part when you saw the monkies and everybody went "awwww" that made me laugh :) well i hope you guys have fun

    -Olivia Shea

    ReplyDelete