I (Joyce) recently returned from taking Justine (13), Alexis (16) & our friend, David (16) to Senegal.

Senegal is a third world country - so this was less of a vacation & more of a "field trip of a lifetime" that afforded us an up close and personal understanding of what real life is like in Senegal ... a culture & climate as far away as it is far different from what we're used to in America.

We stayed w/ my brother (Uncle Jimmy), who teaches elementary students in Dakar, & his wife, Aunt Ramona. We visited The Door of No Return (former slave house) on Goree Island, capital city of Dakar, the school where my brother teaches, outdoor marketplaces, the beach, a wild game park... and Justine finally met her pen-pal!

In the days leading up to our departure I posted here what I knew & was learning about where we were headed. Once we arrived in Senegal, I had the kids post some things as well. Justine was our main photographer.

We're back now & still trying to record our experience as it was hard to keep up while we were there.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Meeting the T-boys

Imagine giving up your son, at the age of four years old in hopes that he would receive an education yet knowing that he would be required to beg on the streets. Today we visited a center in one of the poorest areas of Dakar. We went there to visit a shelter where various T-boys boys could come, clean up, eat, shower, and play. It was a place where they felt safe, a refuge of sorts. These boys ranged anywhere from 4 years old to maybe 15. Most of them had tattered clothes & bare feet. These boys were dirty, some smelled & were skinny to the bone. Despite their uncleanliness, I found myself in awe of how beautiful they were. Their eyes, their laughs, their smiles - some with missing teeth. It was all I could do to not stare! They've had a hard life. They've probably seen more than I will ever see in my lifetime just in their childhood. Boys at the age of 6 were looking after 3 and 4 younger boys. Back home, that is just unimagineable. I know most readers of this will not be able to understand what I'm trying to explain. I don't expect them to. The pictures will help, but I will never be able to express what I've seen and do it justice. I will try my best to paint a picture for you though, so I can in some ways share my experience with you. We came to the center with two bags full of things we collected for them before we left. Anything from BandAids to waterballoons. Despite the poverty they live in, they are exactly like normal little boys. They wrestle, they love toys, they're curious. But there's something about them that seems different to me. They have something American's don't seem to even comprehend. They are happy and content with what they are given. I never once saw a boy ask for more than his share. The little they had, they shared with others! We brought toy cars and gave one to each boy -- Nearly 35 kids were on their hands and knees playing with their match box cars on the floor in a little room probably smaller than your dining room. I couldn't help but smile at the sight. Something we would consider such a simple pleasure meant the world to these little boys. When we brought the bubbles out they got wide eyed. I'm not sure they've ever seen anything like it before. They crowded around my mom as she blew bubbles and jumped in the air in hopes to pop a bubble! You should have seen their smiles. At one point we took out a brand new soccer ball we brought and went down to a sandy "soccer field" which was just a dirt lot blocked in by unusable car tires and some metal posts for goals. Most boys from the center played and then some others from the streets joined us. Often other boys will shun the T-boys but two actually joined with them to play soccer today! The little t-boys held the older one's stuff and watched. The boys playing were REALLY good and seemd to have so much fun! I found it exciting just watching! David jumped right in and played with them and seemd to be right in his element... minus the sand instead of grass. He played for quite a while before the ball rolled into dirty water so he had to stop (but I think he was ready anyhow - he'd worked up a sweat!). After the soccer game we walked back to the center, and soon it was time to eat. David helped serve the boys some bread. I handed out vitamins to them then mom & Justine gave them their toy cars.

If anything, this trip has really opend my eyes. I believe God has been tugging at my heart... showing that I have a purpose in this world. That what I choose to do, could have a huge impact on people. I feel as if I have a calling. I've always been a little different than the norm. I've always had a heart for those "less fortunate." Maybe God is calling me to a future of helping those people. One day, I want to touch the hearts and souls of people all around the world.

Posted by Alexis


Joyce handing out toy cars to the boys. They were so excited to receive them!

Alexis giving the boys their vitamins.

David passing out bread.

This is the area around the center for the boys...actually it was right next to the soccer "field" they were playing at today.


They were so pleased to get brand new soccer ball from David today!



David playing soccer with the boys







French Lessons



My (Joyce's note): After we gave them their toy cars one of the workers led them to chant Jetejef (Sp) which means "thank you" in their language/Wolof - and they clapped and clapped :) I asked the director of the center how to say "You're welcome" and she told us (I can't remember it tho!) so we chanted that back to them. It was really fun...I ended up in tears.

We are leaving them w/ some very nice gifts donated by some very generous people - medical & school supplies, toys, video camera & dvd player, etc. - things that will hopefully help them in the near future & make their difficult lives a bit more enjoyable temporarily - but I believe the impression they left on us will last us a lifetime & we'll never be quite the same (and that's a good thing! :)

1 comment:

  1. 2 Cor 2:14-15 But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.

    ReplyDelete