I (Joyce) recently returned from taking Justine (13), Alexis (16) & our friend, David (16) to Senegal.

Senegal is a third world country - so this was less of a vacation & more of a "field trip of a lifetime" that afforded us an up close and personal understanding of what real life is like in Senegal ... a culture & climate as far away as it is far different from what we're used to in America.

We stayed w/ my brother (Uncle Jimmy), who teaches elementary students in Dakar, & his wife, Aunt Ramona. We visited The Door of No Return (former slave house) on Goree Island, capital city of Dakar, the school where my brother teaches, outdoor marketplaces, the beach, a wild game park... and Justine finally met her pen-pal!

In the days leading up to our departure I posted here what I knew & was learning about where we were headed. Once we arrived in Senegal, I had the kids post some things as well. Justine was our main photographer.

We're back now & still trying to record our experience as it was hard to keep up while we were there.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

It's time for school!

Alexis, David & Justine went to the school where Uncle Jimmy teaches. It is an English speaking school primarily for children of missionaries who are serving in various places around Africa but some children of diplomats from other countries also attend here. Most of them are muslim but they choose to send their children here bc of it' good reputation. Above is a pic of the kids walking to school.




Justine is shadowing her penpal, Samya, at school today. Here she is (above) meeting some of the students for the first time. Alexis & David are shadowing a girl their age as well.



Ramona & I visited Uncle Jimmy's classroom - 10 Students - I believe 2 are from America and the rest are all from different countries. I shared some American chocolate with them ...Twix, Three Musketeers, Milky Way, etc. The kids took American candy to share in their classrooms today too.

After my tour of the school Ramona & I walked back home. She stopped to do some shopping at these stands along the roadside. She purchased mangoes from here...

and other produce from here....


T

There's Ramona (above) doing her shopping.
While the kids are at school I'm trying to catch up on some blogging. I can't keep up! ...& the girls are having a hard time keeping up w/ their journaling too altho' they do it faithfully each night. I think David is journaling too. We have just seen & done so much "new" in such a short time that attempting to record it all is virtually impossible. It's all so very interesting.


These men were kind enough allow me to take their photo. They are getting water from this well to water plants for a small plant nursery business that they water by hand. No walls or doors for this nursery - the plants are just spread out in pots on the dirt. I was impressed w/ how healthy they looked - you can see a few here but there were more...maybe 50 or so various plants.

- Joyce

Note: I realized later that the nursery is much bigger than I realized. It's quite impressive actually - one of the nicer/bigger "small businesses" in the area. I wonder if theft is an issue since there are no walls? Perhaps they guard it at night. Not sure - just curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment