I (Joyce) recently returned from taking Justine (13), Alexis (16) & our friend, David (16) to Senegal.

Senegal is a third world country - so this was less of a vacation & more of a "field trip of a lifetime" that afforded us an up close and personal understanding of what real life is like in Senegal ... a culture & climate as far away as it is far different from what we're used to in America.

We stayed w/ my brother (Uncle Jimmy), who teaches elementary students in Dakar, & his wife, Aunt Ramona. We visited The Door of No Return (former slave house) on Goree Island, capital city of Dakar, the school where my brother teaches, outdoor marketplaces, the beach, a wild game park... and Justine finally met her pen-pal!

In the days leading up to our departure I posted here what I knew & was learning about where we were headed. Once we arrived in Senegal, I had the kids post some things as well. Justine was our main photographer.

We're back now & still trying to record our experience as it was hard to keep up while we were there.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Our home away from home


Below is our home away from home. This is where my brother and his wife live. It is completely surrounded by walls and the entry gate is heavy & always kept locked.


This is a tire shop ... a small business just around the corner...


This is a view of some nice new apartments & a well that you can see nearby from their their rooftop


Jim & Ramona's back yard.



Their front porch & the gate I mentioned earlier



Kitchen



Living Room


A TINY little shack right behind their house...Ramona thinks 4 or 5 people live here...


Ramona standing out in front of her house

Walking home from school - right nearby their house...all over you see piles of debris & trash.


Another view of that little shack above. This is so sad...you see it all over.



Just outside & to the left of their front gate they are building bricks on site ...not sure what they're building tho'.... maybe a house




Right across the way is a mosque viewed here
from their roof - so you can understand why calls to prayer throughout the day are heard so clearly in their home beginning around 5:30AM.


This last one is of their rooftop...I love this concept.as it serves as a nice patio

The dichotomy her is baffling. By that I mean that you have nice homes like my brother's mixed right in w/ tiny little shacks and squatters living in unfinished buildings. I've never seen anything quite like it on such a grande scale. It's heartbreaking.

There are lot's of little shack business too. Lots of trash/litter all over. That I don't think I'd ever get used to. Traffic is CRAZY! Try to picture a U.S. Hwy w/ people living in schacks along side of it....selling stuff ... and people running back & forth to get across - even crossing cement medians in the middle to get to the other side! not to mention that traffic rules are considered more of a suggestion that no one seems to intent on following :)

One thing that impresses me is that despite how dusty & dirty it is here, most of the women keep themselves so clean and they are ...simply beautiful. They certainly take pride in their appearance and I LOVE their dresses! And I think their ebony skin & their dark eyes are just gorgeous :) - Joyce

1 comment:

  1. The pictures remind me of Tegucigalpa Honduras. There they also continuously burned the garbage in the streets. Also, I found that inspite of their circumstances, the people were not "beaten down" and were still able to smile without their "iPod" or what ever. The one picture gives a whole new perspective to backyard gardening...pot on sand :)

    ReplyDelete