I (Joyce) recently returned from taking Justine (13), Alexis (16) & our friend, David (16) to Senegal.

Senegal is a third world country - so this was less of a vacation & more of a "field trip of a lifetime" that afforded us an up close and personal understanding of what real life is like in Senegal ... a culture & climate as far away as it is far different from what we're used to in America.

We stayed w/ my brother (Uncle Jimmy), who teaches elementary students in Dakar, & his wife, Aunt Ramona. We visited The Door of No Return (former slave house) on Goree Island, capital city of Dakar, the school where my brother teaches, outdoor marketplaces, the beach, a wild game park... and Justine finally met her pen-pal!

In the days leading up to our departure I posted here what I knew & was learning about where we were headed. Once we arrived in Senegal, I had the kids post some things as well. Justine was our main photographer.

We're back now & still trying to record our experience as it was hard to keep up while we were there.

Friday, April 23, 2010

Shopping for a new handbag



Today we visited a store called Samba's.  Actually, it looked more like a shack when we pulled up. You'd never know what it was unless you knew what it was! :)  When we walked in we saw big piles of fabric scraps on the floor & maybe 5 people sewing  in a small room. Beyond that room was a small room full of various kinds of handbags for sale....purses, camera bags, duffle bags, etc.  There's so much time & detailed work put into these bags! They are truly works of art. We left w/ a couple new things.

2 comments:

  1. This looks like one of those micro-businesses. One sewing machine + scrap cloth = food on the table :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I came accross your blog - I'm in Dakar now for a year with my family. Where is this shop? I'm enjoying reading someone else blog for a change while I take a break on my own ;+}

    ReplyDelete