I (Joyce) recently returned from taking Justine (13), Alexis (16) & our friend, David (16) to Senegal.

Senegal is a third world country - so this was less of a vacation & more of a "field trip of a lifetime" that afforded us an up close and personal understanding of what real life is like in Senegal ... a culture & climate as far away as it is far different from what we're used to in America.

We stayed w/ my brother (Uncle Jimmy), who teaches elementary students in Dakar, & his wife, Aunt Ramona. We visited The Door of No Return (former slave house) on Goree Island, capital city of Dakar, the school where my brother teaches, outdoor marketplaces, the beach, a wild game park... and Justine finally met her pen-pal!

In the days leading up to our departure I posted here what I knew & was learning about where we were headed. Once we arrived in Senegal, I had the kids post some things as well. Justine was our main photographer.

We're back now & still trying to record our experience as it was hard to keep up while we were there.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Please sign Alexis' Happy 16th "B-day Card"!

Today is Alexis' turned Sweet 16!  We went to a nice dinner at the western most point of Africa to celebrate.  Justine made her a birthday cake. Aunt Ramona was going to frost it but when we came home the power was out (it still is ...I'm able to blog via an inverter but nonetheless I'm doing it in the dark!)  I believe the power has gone out at least once every day since we've been here. ,,,,, Anyhow - back to Alexis' b-day cake....we ate it w/o frosting and it was timely bc we really needed some candles to light up the place a bit :)

I will try to post b-day pics soon. Haven't downloaded them yet.  My pics are taking forever to download.  Feel free to wish Alexis a happy b-day here w/ a comment--- kinda like signing an e-bday card :)  She'd love to hear from you. That would make her special day extra special! - Joyce

P.S, 

Hanna ... I'll make sure she sees your Happy Birthday comment on a previous post :) 

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Alexis...Wow I always knew you were special, a 2 birthday cake girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your special day was extra special even through you were far from home. Wish I was there to give you a hug. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO A "SWEET" 16 YEAR OLD YOUNG LADY-MISS ALEXIS :-)

    ARE YOU GOING TO TRY FOR YOUR LICENSE OVER THERE, EH? OH CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT THAT WOULD BE LIKE-YIKES.

    LOVE TO ALL, THE ZIMOWICKS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyce,
    as you can see, I found my "lost" password, I can now bug you all of the time on here!!! Love reading the postcards from here, what an amazing experience you are all having, can't wait to see/read more. How long are you staying? Hope the Jeff's are surviving.....

    love you, take care,
    marc

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY BIRTHHDAYYY AGAIN! haha I wanted to be part of this card thing too:) I hope you had a good birthday, and I've been thinking of you all day! alskdfjasldj!! I still can't believe your in Africa! Well I'm gonna hit the hay, I'll check in latah!
    ~Hannah The Best;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the birthday comments! My birthday has been very memorable <3

    and unfortunately I cant go home and get my permit because david forgot the drivers manual =p

    miss you all! see you when we get back!

    -Alexis

    ReplyDelete