I (Joyce) recently returned from taking Justine (13), Alexis (16) & our friend, David (16) to Senegal.

Senegal is a third world country - so this was less of a vacation & more of a "field trip of a lifetime" that afforded us an up close and personal understanding of what real life is like in Senegal ... a culture & climate as far away as it is far different from what we're used to in America.

We stayed w/ my brother (Uncle Jimmy), who teaches elementary students in Dakar, & his wife, Aunt Ramona. We visited The Door of No Return (former slave house) on Goree Island, capital city of Dakar, the school where my brother teaches, outdoor marketplaces, the beach, a wild game park... and Justine finally met her pen-pal!

In the days leading up to our departure I posted here what I knew & was learning about where we were headed. Once we arrived in Senegal, I had the kids post some things as well. Justine was our main photographer.

We're back now & still trying to record our experience as it was hard to keep up while we were there.

Monday, April 19, 2010

Sunset & snapshots of a walk on the beach

Sunset at the beach house


We went for a walk on the beach to a small fishing village. Here's glimpses of what we saw...
Who needs an expensive scurf board when you can make one from a simple piece of wood. This guy was good!
This little girl just walked right up to Alexis and took her hand.
Talk about becoming fast friends :) SO sweet.
These children really wanted David's waterbottle.
See the little girl holding the little baby?

A mosque & fishing boats

Don't ever remember seeing a cow on the beach before.

From this boat, or one very similar...they were unloading frozen chicken - giving new meaning to "chicken of the sea"! They probably went to a nearby town and brought it back w/ them.
Did you ever wonder how to give a sheep a bath?
These kids could show you how! :)

Photographer: Justine
Posted by Joyce

6 comments:

  1. Wow! What an experience. I need to see Justine in a picture...just to know she's there :) Standing next to the children on the beach you look like giants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just elling Justine that I needed to get pics of her on here! I have some on my camera but the battery had died. It's charged up now...so stay tuned for more of Justine :) She's here & doing very well now ... Adjusting quite nicely. Actually Alexis is the one who got rather overwhelmed today at the downtown marketplace. I'll let her tell you about that shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an experience for all of you. How wonderful. I'm glad things aren't too much for the kids. Having lived in the Philippines for three years I think I can imagine what you are experiencing. Most people wouldn't believe it. I like the term "window shopping." Traffic rules, what are those? Just remember most people are more curious than dangerous. The don't see that many light skinned, blond haired people in their lifetimes. In the PI they used to try to touch my hair or face. It's a little freaky at first, but they are just curious. Hope you are having fun and I'm enjoying the pictures. Thank you for sharing.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures and CUTE commentary!

    I don't think I've ever seen a COW on the BEACH before either!

    I love those fishing boats. So artistic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marnie! So good to see you here :) HUGS! Yah ...I think you can probably relate better than most base on your experience. The kids are doing great. After the intial shock wore off they began to "get used to it".

    Hi Lupine!! I thought of you when I saw some interesting African art today...I know how you appreciate folk art & so much of what I see here is just that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think that is so adorable how some rondom little girl just came and made friends with you Alexis, correct me if im wrong but it seams as if people who grow up in africa have a totally different perspective on life and it seems they feel they should be a lot friendlier, well most people. im glad you guys are having fun

    P.S that beach looks absolutley gorgeous =)

    -Olivia Shea

    ReplyDelete